It may seem difficult to continue eating paleo while everyone else eats what they please. You may feel left out, or want to give up, but you don’t have to be so hard on yourself. If you plan on sticking to primal eating there are options for you.
Most restaurants will offer some sort of veggie medley, and meat whether it is pork, chicken, steak, or even fish.
Tips for ordering meat:
- Ask for grilled, or baked.
- Beware of key words such as “fried” as it contains unnecessary fat and excess salt.
- You can also ask for no sodium on your dishes since salt and pepper are usually always available in one’s table. This will allow you to control the amount of salt you consume.
- SAY NO TO SAUCE : Sauces are a little tricky as well because many are made with heavy creams, loads of cheese, and salt. It’s okay to ask for no sauce or asking for it on the side, again, taking control of what you intake.
- Skip out on the bread, and chips, and instead order a small salad or a healthy appetizer.
- I always ask for water with my meals, you can also request a lemon for flavoring.
- If this seems like too much effort, do not feel guilty for indulging in a cheat meal. I do my best to strictly eat paleo, but sometimes life gets in the way and I have found that after eating a non-paleo meal, I remember the reasons why I began eating paleo. Yes, cheat meals are delicious, but you also don’t want to un-do the progress you’ve made by allowing a cheat meal to become a cheat-week (I’ve been guilty of this and I hope I’m not the only one).
Point is, there are ways to maintain a healthy lifestyle while keeping one’s goals in mind, but it’s also important to not exclude yourself from socializing with friends or family due to your dietary restrictions (you don’t want to be that person). I hope this was a bit helpful and remember you are in control.